Friday, September 9, 2011

Settling in? What's that?

For the past 6 months I’ve been saying, “Once Troy is in school I’ll be able to ______.” I should realize by now that nothing ever goes as planned. I had visions of working out, getting things organized around the house, and finally being that clean-house-dinner-on-the-table stay-at-home-mom. We’re only two weeks in to the school year, but I can tell that’s not going to happen.

South Bend has a tiered system of schools. For many reason (too many to discuss in this post) we decided on the middle ground, which is a magnet school. While they do offer busing options, he would have to ride for 40 minutes plus to get to a school that is a 10 minute drive from our house so we’ve decided to drop him off and pick him up. So far it’s worked out that Tim drops him off on the way to work and I pick him up in the afternoon. This has been a bigger adjustment than I anticipated.

On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Addison is home with me. Of course, Troy’s pick up time is smack dab in the middle of her usual nap time. Yes! Addison still naps. It wasn’t uncommon for her to go down at 12:30 and have to be woken around 4pm. On most days she’s up by 3:30, but since Troy has to be picked up between 2 and 2:20, that doesn’t work anymore. Last week I put her down at noon. To my surprise, she was fast asleep within minutes, but each time I had to wake her up to go get Troy. The results weren’t horrible, but not great either. Yesterday I tried keeping her up, which she can do when needed, but that was a disaster too.

Honestly, I’m not sure if the bad times with the nap were a function of her not getting enough sleep or Troy dealing with the adjustment to kindergarten. He LOVES kindergarten (another post, I’m sure) and seems to be adjusting really well, but last week I also noticed a lot of arguing and acting out. He was fighting with his sister almost from the minute he came home until they went to bed. And, if that wasn’t bad enough he seemed to be arguing with us over EVERYTHING! Like he suddenly knew it all and felt the need to set us straight.

That seems to be calming down this week. I think he was feeling left out. I had taken him for a special day at the bowling alley before he started school and I honestly think he thought I took Addison there any time she wasn’t in school, but he was. Now that we’ve been doing this a little longer, I think he realizes that her one-on-one time with me is about the same as his time after school before we pick her up – errands, cleaning, and such.

Part of me is still holding out hope that things will settle down and I will find time to work out, clean, organize, etc. The realistic me is learning to accept the fact that it may never happen. I may spend every Tuesday and Thursday running errands, desperately seeking a nap (since Addison is back to waking up throughout the night), or vegging out in front of one of my many electronic devices. I'll throw out a phrase that drives my mom crazy - It is what it is! I'll settle for that right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...